Dear Fabulous Future Fifth Graders:
We will surely be in for an exciting and action packed school year filled with many groovy adventures. You will be working in a high tech educational classroom that is wired for high speed internet use. Instead of desks, you will be sitting at special tables set up with access to Macbook Air laptops for use throughout the day, depending on the task of the lesson. Our classroom also has a SMARTBOARD and a couple of I-pads. Keep in mind that this all comes with great responsibility for each and every one of you. You will have to help ensure that all high tech materials are correctly taken care of and internet safety and usage rules are carefully followed.
We will be doing a lot of work (on and off the computer), which will hopefully be enjoyable most of the time. We will be taking many terrific trips and doing special projects. You will also continue to participate in reading and writing workshops, book clubs and so much more.
I will post messages here for the upcoming school year and some work which will be due during the first week of school. There are also interest inventories for both you and your family to complete and return on the first day of school.
Every good worker though needs to be prepared. Part of being prepared is to do all of your assignments. The other part is to be responsible and have all of your supplies in school everyday and replace them when needed. Like an artist who requires a paintbrush and imagination, you too, need the right tools to accomplish what is required. The following is a list of supplies that you should have in school when you return in the fall:
- THE MOST IMPORTANT SUPPLY YOU WILL NEED IS TO MAKE SURE YOUR PS165Q.NET ACCOUNTS ARE WORKING. THAT IS THE ONLY ACCOUNT YOU MAY WORK ON DURING THE SCHOOL DAY...YOU WILL ALSO NEED TO BE ABLE TO ACCESS YOUR I-READY ACCOUNTS...
- You are strongly urged to practice your typing skills this summer. Most of your assignments will be done on the computer and the faster you type, the quicker your work can be completed.
- 3 sharpened number two pencils (no lead pencils, please!)
- 1 ruler (with inches and centimeters)
- A supply of pens (blue and black only)
- 8 composition notebooks—(Please note that we will be moving towards having most of our work saved to our USB’s and desktops. But to help ease into this transition, we will begin the school year with working in both notebooks and on computers).
- 6 folders with pockets on bottom (not on side)
- A small set of watercolor paints/markers/crayons
- Post its
- A box of tissues
- A container of eco-friendly cleaning-disinfecting wipes or baby wipes
- Books and/or magazines for silent reading
- A supply of loose-leaf paper and construction paper to be used at home for future projects
- A pocket/Scholastic dictionary
- A plastic folder for Science
- A package of Xerox paper (very important since most of our work will have to be printed).
- & loose-leaf paper to be used in class for printing & drafting
- A package of gallon sized Ziploc bags
- a pair of headphones-headsets in a labelled baggy
I am looking forward to working together! If you wish to contact me during the summer, I can be reached at fclyne165@gmail..com. See you in September!